The Los Angeles Dodgers are in the full swing of things in the off-season and made the second international signing of the winter as they locked up Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero to a four-year $28 million contract this week.
Guerrero was rumored to be close to a deal with the Dodgers on several occasions and after switching to agent Scott Boras, the two sides were still able to reach an agreement last week. While there hasn’t been a press conference to formally introduce him to the LA media, J.P. Hoonstra of the LA Daily News has news about the Dodgers plans for him in the off-season:
Am told #Dodgers Alexander Guerrero plans to play in the Dominican Winter League; contract hasn’t been approved by league’s commissioner yet
— J.P. Hoornstra (@jphoornstra) October 27, 2013
Projected to be the Dodgers’ starting second baseman on opening day, Guerrero hasn’t played organized ball since he defected to the Dominican Republic and it’ll give management another chance to see him play before the season starts.
On the flip side, general manager Ned Colletti said the team has no plans for Yasiel Puig to play winter ball, but manager Don Mattingly wants a system in place for all young players. Compared to Dan Uggla due to his power and Ian Kinsler with his skills, Guerrero will take over for second baseman Mark Ellis, who’s likely to have his $5.75 million option declined once free agency starts.
If Guerrero can follow in the footsteps of Puig and Hyun-Jin Ryu, the Dodgers will have hit another home run when it comes to international scouting.
In case you missed it, here’s the Dodgers pool celebration, PLUS Yasiel Puig’s celebration dance off!