Yoan Moncada

UPDATE (Feb. 11, 11:40 a.m. PT): According to ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick, David Hastings, who is representing Yoan Moncada, hopes to have a decision made around Feb. 23:

I don’t have any more plans [for workouts] after next week. I’m looking at around the 23rd of this month to have all the input we need to make a decision on where he’ll start — and hopefully end — his professional career.”

[divide]

There’s been much hype building around teenage infield prospect Yoan Moncada, especially since he was cleared by MLB to sign with a team.

The Los Angeles Dodgers have been one of the teams linked to the Cuban switch-hitter and are expected to be there at the end when he decides on a team. Moncada is projected to receive a signing bonus north of $8 million, along with his contract. Any team willing to sign the 19-year-old will have to be ready to pay all the penalties that come with it, such as a dollar-for-dollar tax and a two-year ban on international prospects over $300,000.

According to Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times, Moncada hopes to be able to with a team soon via his representative:

I’m hoping, certainly, that by the end of next week, we’ll have a much clearer picture of where he will sign,” said Moncada’s Florida-based representative, David Hastings.

Along with the Dodgers, the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox and San Diego Padres are among the teams that have expressed serious interest in Moncada. The young infielder recently said he wants to join a team as soon as possible to be able to compete for a spot on the roster.

Hastings also reiterated this sentiment about his top prospect:

I’m kind of hoping we’re at the final end of the process,” Hastings said. “I hope I will be able to get Yoan into a team’s spring-training practice as soon as possible.”

If Moncada joins the Dodgers, he will likely have no shot to make the team this season. With Jimmy Rollins, Juan Uribe and Howie Kendrick set to make up the infield, there would simply be no room for the teenager. However, Moncada could work in the minor leagues and have a shot at the big leagues in 2015, possibly joining Corey Seager on the left side of the infield.

Dodgers Fan Fest – Chris Hatcher

About The Author

Vince is currently the Associate Editor and Social Media Manager for Dodgers Nation. Hailing from San Pedro, CA and a student at Cal State Long Beach, Vince has previously written for the Daily 49er and LASF Magazine.

8 Responses

    • Michael N. Norris

      Enjoy SD….I doubt they are going to put out that much money on a raw kid

      Reply
  1. jvillacis90 .

    If dodgers got him, and he lived up to like 80% of hype, we’d have a young core of Seager, Urias, Moncada, Pederson, Holmes that would grow up together! Add in Puig (who is still just 24) and Kershaw who is under 30… damn thats a nice team to look forward to in very near future!

    Reply
  2. Michael N. Norris

    About 1 week away from a decision…..seems to me like the team is leaning towards NOT signing him..I think the penalties and the 2 year ban is making some impact on their thinking

    Reply
  3. Tmax

    I really love the idea of a Seager, Moncada left side if the kid is even 80% of the hype. But they seem to like the Cuban Pitcher and 2nd baseman also and I do not think it is reasonable to assume they would try for an all Cuban infield give or take one position. They have to make up their mind and hopefully go hard after 2 of them. To me, you cannot have enough young arms so I always will go after the pitcher. Stan the man has to decide and I am hoping they pull the trigger but I doubt it.

    Reply
  4. John

    I think if they sign him, they will then be more inclined to deal a couple of their prospects for Hammels

    Reply
  5. Tmax

    I have read and heard that Baseball is going to revamp their International Signing Rules. They are talking about a World-Wide draft or if that will not fly with the Union some other system. IF that happens the 2-year ban, according to the Hacks on MLB Network would be null and void. SO it may not hurt you to pick up Moncada in the long run. But given the amount of talent in the rest of the world it would not make business sense to take a 2 year ban for any body unless they thought it would soon no longer be in play as the rules changed. I am sure they have a much better feel for what is going to happen than the media has, in-regard to the rules.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.