Do you want to get into the Sports Media business? Well, you’ve come to the right place.
Our alumni of former interns, contributors and editors have moved on to enjoy careers with some companies you might recognize:
- Los Angeles Dodgers
- Los Angeles Lakers
- New York Mets
- ESPN Los Angeles
- Spectrum Sportsnet – Official Broadcast Partner of the Lakers
- SportsnetLA – Official Broadcast Partner of the Dodgers
- Atlanta Journal Constitution
- Bleacher Report
The main reason for our alumni success is because of the 360 degrees of digital experience they have here on our team. The owner, Gary Lee, has been working in the media industry for well over a decade at the top sports companies in the world, so that he can best position the team with leading edge strategy and best practices to date.
What’s the opportunity? Weekend Newsdesk Managers for Lakers and Dodgers.
Newsdesk managers are expected to write regularly on everything Lakers, Dodgers, and their respective players and personnel. They will also manage a group of contributors and schedule content for all of our social media properties through proprietary workflows and tools.
We are currently looking for a full-time sports newsdesk writer to write for a couple of our properties. The ideal candidate will have full-time availability during the weekend (Saturday and Sunday). This is a position that will require the writer to cover newsworthy stories in Los Angeles sports, primarily around the Lakers and Dodgers.
We would also like to work with someone who wants to be part of a team-oriented environment, but is also a proactive self-starter.
Required Qualities We’re Looking For:
- Excellent research skills (finding newsworthy stories to write and publish)
- Excellent, polished writing skills
- High attention to detail (fact checking, source checking, spelling, grammar, etc.)
- Team player attitude and high standard of professionalism
- Solid working knowledge of Los Angeles based teams and players, along with a passion for sports
- Must have reliable internet connection and can write from home
- Have an active Facebook account and be a member of sports related groups
- Have working knowledge of how to engage online communities
- Overall be a self-starter and have a passion for following and covering sports
- Reside in the greater Los Angeles area and work from home most of the time, but able to come to the office occasionally (preferred, but not determinative)
- Experience working with WordPress, Tempest, or similar type Content Management Systems
- Previous experience writing news content
- Basic knowledge of SEO titles
- Social media experience beyond personal social media accounts
- Monitor sports news sites, social media accounts, RSS feeds, Reddit, etc. to find news to write about and publish
- Write concise news articles in a timely manner (15-30 minute window after news breaks)
- Participate in discussions on article comments to engage community of readers
- Ability to post content on multiple social platforms
If the job sounds like a great fit for you, please apply with a cover letter and resume (details below). Please be prepared to provide a portfolio of writing samples.
Emails that are sent without any of these will automatically be deleted and not reviewed for consideration.
- This job will have both remote and in-office expectations.
- This is a PAID position with a minimum of 8 hours each day.
- Office is located in South Pasadena, CA
- Conveniently located close to Metro Gold Rail Stop
Please email a resume and cover letter along with samples of some of your relevant recent work to contribute[at]dodgersnation.com. Include the word “Application” in the email subject line. Emails that do not include any of these will be disregarded. We will do our best to respond to each applicant, but please understand it is hard with the sheer quantity of applications we receive.