Baseball games may not be played today, but that will not stop the league from properly honoring Jackie Robinson. Players from around the league would usually don the number 42 in honor of the legendary second baseman, but obviously there are no uniforms to wear today.
So instead, Jackie Robinson will be celebrated a new way across baseball. He will be honored all day long on MLB.com with a number of programs that pay tribute to the man that broke the color barrier.
MLB.com Jackie Robinson Day Schedule
7 a.m.: April 15, 2012 — Padres at Dodgers
- The schedule kicks off with an airing of the 2012 Jackie Robinson Day game against the Padres. In that game, Matt Kemp homered and Dee Gordon hit a walk-off single and win 5-4.
11 a.m: 1955 World Series film
- This film features footage of Robison playing in Brooklyn in what would be the Dodgers’ lone World Series in New York.
12 p.m.: Jackie Documentary
- This documentary “Letters To Jackie” focuses on Robinson’s role as a civil rights activist. The story is told from Jackie’s point of view using old letters he had written to and from political figures such as President Eisenhower, JFK, and more.
1 p.m.: April 15, 1997: Dodgers at Mets — Jackie Robinson Ceremony
- This game was the 50th anniversary of Robinson’s major league debut. The Mets held an on-field ceremony where Commissioner Bud Selig announced that his jersey number would be retired across baseball.
4 p.m.: April 15, 2019 — Mets at Phillies
- A little bit of everything, including Bryce Harper debuting cleats made to honor UCLA, Jackie’s alma mater.
7 p.m: The 1955 World Series Film
- The airing of the 1955 World Series done on all of MLB’s social channels.
Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation Dream Field Groundbreaking at Jackie Robinson Field
MLB Network Jackie Robinson Day Schedule
- 5:30 a.m.: Giants vs Dodgers, April 15, 2009
- 8:30 a.m.: Angels vs Yankees, April 15, 2010
- 11:30 a.m.: Play Ball, Jackie Robinson (the Ken Griffey Jr. episode)
- 12 p.m.: Pirates vs Cubs, April 15, 2017
- 7 and 9:30 p.m.: Ken Burns’ “Jackie Robinson”
MLB started to celebrate Jackson Robinson Day back in 2004 and takes place annually on April 15th. That date was Opening Day back in 1947 when Jackie made his debut in the Major Leagues. Every year, players from across the league wear number 42 to honor his legacy on April 15th.