Today, USA Today Sports released their Top 100 Names To Know for the upcoming baseball season. The list primarily consists of players who are just starting to make their way to the big leagues or have recently made it and are looking to attain greatness. Heading that list was Los Angeles Dodgers shortstop Corey Seager.
When he was called up in September of last season, Seager OPS’d .986 in 113 plate appearances that month. In fact, he was so good so fast that he accumulated a whopping 1.5 Wins Above Replacement in that span of time. Essentially, if he had that pace over a full season he would have been a 9 WAR player.
This is what the USA Today article had to say about him:
1. Corey Seager, SS, Dodgers: The words “Hall of Famer” are already being tossed around in regard to Seager, 21, by teammate Adrian Gonzalez. Seager’s uncommon combination of talent and composure inspires. He might be the National League’s version of Carlos Correa — a lanky shortstop with power, poise and leadership skills — and his opposite number at All-Star Games for years to come. Lefty-swinging Seager replaced former MVP Jimmy Rollins as the Dodgers’ starting shortstop in September, kept the job in the playoffs and goes into the season as the regular.
They’re certainly not kidding. He does possess the ability to be the next Carlos Correa, and that’s praise that seems deserved.
The rest of the top ten list was as follows:
Other Dodgers to appear on the list were:
- Right-hander Kenta Maeda (11th)
- Left-hander Julio Urias (78th)
- Right-hander Frankie Montas (80th)
- Outfielder Trayce Thompson (82nd).
The Dodgers had five players appear on the list, which ranked as fourth-most behind three teams tied with six apiece.
With the Dodgers seemingly stocked with young talent, there might be no end in sight to their run of divisional dominance. That’s just the reality of it.
[button color=”blue” size=”big” alignment=”center” rel=”follow” openin=”newwindow” url=”https://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-news-grandal-9th-best-catcher-in-mlb/2016/02/09/”]Dodgers News: Grandal Named 9th Best Catcher in MLB[/button]