Most of the salary information is from COTS. The bWAR is Wins Above Replacement from Baseball Reference. Players like Walker Buehler are not on this list as they are all making around the league minimum for 2020. AAV is the Average Annual Value and is what is used to calculate the salaries for luxury tax purposes.
Note: On phones and some other devices it is probably best to view the table by tilting your phone to landscape mode.
|Player||2020 Notes||2020||2021 Notes||2021||2022 Notes||2022|
|Nelson, Jimmy||Signed FA||$1,250,000||Option|
|Treinen, Blake||Signed FA||$10,000,000||FA|
|Wood, Alex||Signed FA||$4,000,000||FA|
|40 Man Minors||$2,250,000||$2,250,000||$2,250,000|
|CBA Tax Threshold||$208,000,000||$210,000,000||$212,000,000|
|Amount Under Threshold||$30,431,667||$49,941,667||$96,825,000|
|Draft Pick Penalty||$248,000,000||$250,000,000||$252,000,000|
|Amount Under Pick Penalty||$70,431,667||$89,941,667||$136,825,000|
The “Amount Under Threshold” is the amount before tax penalties begin. The “Amount Under Pick Penalty” is the amount before they start losing draft positions.
- Arb-Est: Estimated arbitration driven salary
- FA: Free agent
- + inc. – plus incentives
- QO – given or accepted a Qualifying Offer in free agency
- $150K per year for making the opening day roster
- $250K for innings pitched at the 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190 and 200 marks
- $1M for games started at the 15, 20, 25, 30 and 32 marks
- $1M for games started at 24, 26, 28 and 30 marks
- $1.5M for Cy Young with $500K for 2nd or 3rd place finish
- 2020 Day 1 Roster Bonus: $1M
- 45 days active in 2020: $500,000
- 90 days active in 2020: $500,000
- 2021 club option includes a $500,000 buyout (part of 2020 CBA base)
- Converts to a $5 million mutual option with 60 IP or 40 games in 2020
- $5M 2021 escalator based on innings pitched in 2020 (170)
- h/t Spotrac
- Can earn up to $6M more in incentives for 2020
- There is a point system based on each game where he gets 10 outs or more
- $250,000 each for earning 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20 points.
- $500,000 each for earning 22, 24, 26 and 28 points.
- $500,000 each for pitching 110, 120, 130, 140 and 150 innings.
- h/t AP
The Competitive Balance Tax
Here is a quick summary of how the competitive balance tax works:
- The thresholds for being taxed for the duration of the CBA are:
- 2019: $206 million
- 2020: $208 million
- 2021: $210 million
- There are various penalties for exceeding the CBT that begin at 20%. The number changes based on the number of consecutive years the threshold is exceeded.
- The penalties reset when a team stays under the threshold.
- A team that exceeds the threshold by $40 million or more are penalized in the draft. A team not in the top 6 of the draft will have their first pick moved back 10 spots.
- Penalties are calculated based on the Average Annual Value (AAV) of a multi-year contract.
To sum it up the Dodgers will have financial penalties if they exceed $208 million in 2020 and would have a draft pick penalty if they exceed $248 million.