Most of the salary information is from COTS. The bWAR is Wins Above Replacement from Baseball Reference. Players like Walker Buehler are not on this list as they are all making around the league minimum for 2019. AAV is the Average Annual Value and is what is used to calculate the salaries for luxury tax purposes.
|Player||2018 bWAR||2019 Notes||2019||2020 Notes||2020|
|Gyorko, Jedd||2.0||6/$35.5M||$1,973,000||Team Opt $1M|
|Jansen, Kenley||0.6||5/$80M||$16,000,000||2019 Opt Out||$16,000,000|
|Kershaw, Clayton||4||3/$93M + inc.||$31,000,000||$31,000,000|
|Maeda, Kenta||0.4||8/$25M + inc.||$6,025,000||$3,125,000|
|Kemp Trade||To Pads||$3,500,000||›|
|Kemp/Puig Trade||To Reds||$7,000,000|
|Russell Martin||From Jays||-$16,400,000|
|Jedd Gyorko||From Cards||-$2,939,000|
|40 Man Minors||$2,250,000||$2,250,000|
|CBA Tax Threshold||$206,000,000||$208,000,000|
|Amount Under Threshold||$8,273,667||$99,691,667|
|Draft Pick Penalty||$246,000,000||$248,000,000|
|Amount Under Pick Penalty||$48,273,667||$139,691,667|
The “Amount Under Threshold” is the amount before tax penalties begin. The “Amount Under Pick Penalty” is the amount before they start losing draft positions.
- Arb-Est: Estimated arbitration driven salary
- FA: Free agent
- + inc. – plus incentives
- QO – given or accepted a Qualifying Offer in free agency
- $150K per year for making the opening day roster
- $250K for innings pitched at the 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190 and 200 marks
- $1M for games started at the 15, 20, 25, 30 and 32 marks
- $1M for games started at 24, 26, 28 and 30 marks
- $1.5M for Cy Young with $500K for 2nd or 3rd place finish
The Competitive Balance Tax
Here is a quick summary of how the competitive balance tax works:
- The thresholds for being taxed for the duration of the CBA are:
- 2019: $206 million
- 2020: $208 million
- 2021: $210 million
- There are various penalties for exceeding the CBT that begin at 20%. The number changes based on the number of consecutive years the threshold is exceeded.
- The penalties reset when a team stays under the threshold.
- A team that exceeds the threshold by $40 million or more are penalized in the draft. A team not in the top 6 of the draft will have their first pick moved back 10 spots.
- Penalties are calculated based on the Average Annual Value (AAV) of a multi-year contract.
To sum it up the Dodgers will have financial penalties if they exceed $206 million in 2019 and would have a draft pick penalty if they exceed $246 million.