The Dodgers (22-14) return home from a 3-3 road trip to face the Atlanta Braves (18-16) at Dodger Stadium in a 2018 NLDS rematch.
While rain threatens the start of game one, nevertheless opening the series for the Dodgers is Walker Buehler. Buehler is looking to start his May off on the right track, after going 3-0 with a 5.22 ERA in April.
The last time Walker faced the Braves, this happened.
RONALD ACUÑA GRAND SLAM pic.twitter.com/L42cUJyLkO
— Starting 9 (@Starting9) October 8, 2018
Of course, that came one pitch after Buehler was “whatever the opposite of squeezed” is on ball 4 by the home plate umpire.
Luckily this happened not long after:
Good morning from your NLDS Champs. pic.twitter.com/qt5uJZhdnK
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) October 9, 2018
Chat with a Braves Beat Writer
Gabe Burns – a former editor at Dodgers Nation – is a Braves beat writer for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. We had a chance to preview this series in a nice baseball conversation.
- Walker Buehler vs RHP Kevin Gausman (1-2, 4.83)
- Game 1 is truly a matchup of two pitchers hoping to get some things straightened out on the mound.
- Hyun-Jin Ryu (3-1, 2.55 ERA) vs LHP Max Fried (4-1, 2.11 ERA)
- The last time Ryu faced the Braves, he tossed 7 shutout innings at Dodger Stadium.
- Fried has quietly put some things together this season as he finds his way into the top 5 in the NL in ERA. Plus he’s left handed, so expect some trouble, as always.
- Clayton Kershaw (1-0, 2.77 ERA) vs RHP Mike Foltynewicz (0-1, 5.06 ERA)
- Two guys that got late starts to the season. Kershaw has pitched very well with his new game plan.
- Folty is fighting for his rotation spot with this start.
Both clubs share a common concern: the bullpen. While Kenley Jansen just gave up a walk-off grand slam on Sunday, the Braves learned that they would be officially losing their closer for the rest of the season. As mentioned by Gabe Burns in our interview, his replacements have not performed exceptionally.
Who takes the series? Let us know!
[button link=”https://www.dodgersnation.com/dodger-stadium-safety-the-unwritten-rules-fans-should-know/2019/05/06/” type=”big” color=”red”] Dodger Stadium Safety: The Unwritten Rules Fans Should Know[/button]