On Wednesday, the Verdin family filed a $17M lawsuit against the Los Angeles Dodgers over an incident after game 5 of the NLDS last year. The lawsuit alleges racism and profiling in a claim where they were “beaten and abused by stadium security because they are Latinos.”
The family held a news conference on Thursday over the allegations.
“I was just in shock the whole time. It was unexpected, out of nowhere,” said David Verdin.
According to Yahoo Sports, the family was near an exit, per the report, where the family claims they were “accosted” and “battered” by security guards who allegedly called them “gang bangers, thugs and homies.”
“Without warning, my clients were jumped by security. Not only were they accosted and stopped, there was no inquiry of them. They were on the ground — chokehold, knee on neck,” the family’s attorney, Peter diDonato, said.
18-year-old Jaime Verdin suffered a broken nose from the incident and says that team personnel tried to blame her injuries on another one of her family members. Additionally, Rigoberto Verdin Sr. suffered injuries to his arm and hand after being tackled. Rigoberto Jr. claims a guard pinned him tot the ground and held a knee on his neck.
The lawsuit is demanding $7 million for false arrest, imprisonment and a violation of civil rights, and another $10 million in punitive damages.
The Dodgers have chosen not to comment.