The Los Angeles Dodgers learned Monday their 2015 season would carry on without the services of Brandon McCarthy, who suffered a torn UCL tendon in his right elbow. While the 31 year old knew his season had come to an abrupt end, McCarthy wasn’t yet certain if he would opt for Tommy John surgery.

McCarthy indicated surgery was the likely scenario, but it wasn’t until Wednesday that he confirmed his intentions to go under the knife Thursday with team physician Dr. Neal ElAttrache performing the operation, according to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com:

News of a torn UCL came as somewhat of a surprise given McCarthy expressed minimal concern after he was removed early in the sixth inning of his April 25 start in San Diego. While the right-hander has a history of injury, this is the first time in McCarthy’s career his elbow has been an issue.

Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman didn’t express any remorse over signing the oft-injured McCarthy to a four-year, $48 million deal in the offseason. “It’s one of those things that, Brandon obviously has had a little bit of an injury history, but nothing relating to the elbow,” Friedman said Monday.

“I guess it just goes to show this is what happens in this game with pitchers and you have to be prepared for it. That’s why we talk so much about depth and you can never have enough. This falls for me into the ‘this could happen to anyone’ category,” Friedman concluded his thoughts with.

McCarthy finishes the season 3-0 with a 5.87 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 29 strikeouts in 23.0 innings pitched. A timetable likely won’t be released until after surgery, but McCarthy said he hopes to return by the 2016 All-Star break.

[divide]

Andrew Friedman Discusses Moving On Without Brandon McCarthy


About The Author

Matt is a journalist from Whittier, California. A Cal State Long Beach graduate, Matthew occasionally contributes to Lakers Nation, and previously served as the lead editor and digital strategist at Dodgers Nation, and the co-editor and lead writer at Reign of Troy, where he covered USC Football. You can follow Matt on Twitter @mmoreno1015

3 Responses

  1. Michael N. Norris

    Oh, so that makes it ok to give a guy with that many injury’s that huge contract? Just proved you ARE dumber than you look

    Reply
  2. Gary Peck

    I never liked this signing. I thought they over-rated his ability and certainly over paid based on his accomplishments or lack of. Might as well kept Haren for his final year. Now maybe it’s time to give Zack Lee his shot.

    Reply
    • Michael N. Norris

      Gary, although most fans might feel that way, this FO does not….with 3 guys who have MLB experience ahead of him…….Baker, Huff, Bolsinger, they will go through those guys first. Plus Brandon Beachy is expected to be ready by mid June. Ryu is throwing, and if Anderson can find some semblance of consistency, they will keep Lee at AAA. Now I am pretty sure that he will get a September call up…….

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.