20 year old Cuban Outfielder
6-foot-3, 205 pounds
This past Saturday Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported that Jorge Soler has finally became a free agent. His agent requested that all team bids be in by this past Thursday.
Today we learned that the Dodgers are one of the few in the mix.
This morning Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports:
“The Cubs, Yankees, Braves and Dodgers have been the most aggressive in bidding on Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler. The first round of bids for the Cuban defector were submitted earlier this week, and the second round of bids are due this weekend. Soler is expected to receive at least $25 million and should make a decision before long. The Red Sox, Pirates, Orioles, Phillies, and White Sox have also been mentioned as possible landing spots.”
Scouting Report Highlights:
- Explosive strength and athleticism. Muscular but maintains flexibility and shows fast-twitch ability
- Rarely struck out in international competitions (untested in US)
- True plus-plus raw power to the pull side, along with the strength to drive the ball out the opposite way
- Classic right field arm. Gets rid of it quickly with plenty of velocity and good carry on all throws
- Scouts turned in 4.22-4.36 seconds from home to first
“Raw ceiling could be a .275-.280 hitter with 30 home runs in the heart of the lineup, all with very good outfield defense.”