Dodgers Nation is part of a sports publishing network based in Los Angeles. Our team has set the tone for covering teams in the Los Angeles area and would like to continue working with the next generation of sports producers. Our founder has created properties such as Lakers Nation and worked at Disney, SB Nation, FanSided, Time Inc and more, so you will get one of the best overall digital media internships in the industry.
There are few opportunities to write about the LA Sports with such a sizable platform as you’ll find at Dodgers Nation while getting the training to be ready for the next evolution in sports coverage.
We are currently only accepting applications for Writers. Other positions will be opened up as they become available. If you are interested in contributing to Dodgers Nation as a Writer, check out the job description and process below, and submit your application!
Who are we looking for?
We are searching for motivated individuals with great writing skills that have a knack for finding the fun and unique stories, as well as taking a unique angles on the hot topics of the day. Ideal candidates will not only be passionate about LA Sports, but about engaging the digital community on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, Facebook, and other emerging social media platforms.
Basic Qualification Standards
- Detail Oriented
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Professional appearance and attitude
- Passion for sports and the sports industry
- Thorough knowledge of Los Angeles Sports
- Social Media experience
- Ability to adapt to the fast-paced work culture of the editorial team
- Ability to follow instructions
- Blogging experience
- Video/Multi-media production experience
- Podcasting experience
- Social Media community management experience
Who are you?
You are the person everyone turns to for Dodgers information and people wonder why you’re not working in sports right now. You have an outgoing personality and naturally include people into your conversations and social circles.
The compensation will be based on the candidate’s skill set and availability, which basically means, we’ll see what you can do well, how well you can learn and then what you can bring to the table to figure out what the compensation should be.
Internships may also be available to qualified students who have been approved by their school to earn school credit. We have had successful internships with the following schools:
- Cal State Los Angeles
- Cal State Long Beach
- Cal State Fullerton
- Loyola Marymount University
- Arizona State University
- Brigham Young University
- Whittier College
Current Positions Available
PUBLISHING: NEWS DESK
– Weekday Afternoon Shift
– Weekend Shift
Dodgers Nation is the #1 Dodgers Community Site for fans online. We’re looking for a sports writer for our afternoon news desk. The ideal candidate is someone who can adapt to the fast paced life of Dodgers baseball and be able to communicate that effectively to a broad spectrum of Dodger fans. The candidate must be hardworking, resourceful, proactive and conduct themselves in a way that reflects well on the Dodgers Nation team.
Additionally, the candidate must be aware of potential news, research the validity and pitch news stories that will resonate with Dodger fans. The position requires intelligence, ethics and a moral compass to understand what’s right and wrong while being able to handle the criticism found on social media. Communication is key within the high-pressure, deadline-driven atmosphere and being able to live within this environment is key.
- Provide original perspectives on breaking news
- Monitor organization, players and management news
- Ability to navigate through sports media to analyze content and recognize big stories within the stories.
- 1-2 years of experience writing about sports
- Ability to work under deadlines
- Strong writing skills
- Strong formatting skills for readable web content
- Strong understanding of social media
- Strong organizational skills
- Interest in the Dodgers and the people that live that world.
INTERNSHIPS – Media: Video and Podcasts
We have worked with a number of local colleges such as USC, UCLA, LMU, CSULA and CSULB, as well as out of state colleges such as BYU and ASU, to offer class credit for being a part of our team. Please check with your counselors to see if you qualify.
We pay writers, so you don’t have to worry about that.
- Assist with the production of podcasts and videos for social media platforms
- Assist with field reporting at games or fan outings
- Estimated time of 15-20 Hours a Week
- To qualify for payments, must also become a writer for the site.
Please email resume/cover letter along with a link(s) to your portfolio to contribute [at] DodgersNation.com with the following:
- Subject Line: [Position Applying for], First & Last Name
- Cover Letter (can be the email copy or attached document)
- Who you are?
- Why do you want to work here?
- How did you hear about this internship/position?
- Any skills that might help with this job?
- What team/sport would you like to/can cover?
- Portfolio: Writers can provide writing samples. Video Team applicants must provide reel of on-air or editing experience.
- Resume (attached to email)
- References (attached to email)
Applicants who do not provide information requested above will automatically be disqualified and not be responded to.