Julio Urías is expected to be reinstated from administrative leave and added to the active roster before tomorrow’s game against the Tampa Bay Rays, according to Jorge Castillo of the LA Times.
Julio Urías is expected to be reinstated from administrative leave and activated tomorrow, per sources. He was arrested last week on suspicion of domestic battery.
— Jorge Castillo (@jorgecastillo) May 21, 2019
Urías was arrested on Monday, May 13, on suspicion of domestic battery. He was released on bail the following day and then placed on 7-day administrative leave.
Multiple law enforcement sources tell TMZ Sports … the domestic violence case against Dodgers star pitcher Julio Urías is “weak” based on the evidence.
We’re told the video of the incident does show Urías making physical contact with the woman during the [May] 13 altercation in the Beverly Center parking lot — but as one source puts it, “It doesn’t appear there’s criminal intent to injure her.”
One source says it appears Urías used his hands in an attempt to stop her from leaving the area during a heated argument.
As pointed out by Bill Plunkett, it is still unclear if Major League Baseball, who is conducting its own investigation, has decided on any potential discipline. Moreover, there is no word on whether the Dodgers will take any action.
Confirmed: #Dodgers Julio Urias will be taken off administrative leave Tuesday and will be eligible to return to LAD's active roster. Unclear what if any discipline MLB has decided on after completing its investigation.
— Bill Plunkett (@billplunkettocr) May 21, 2019
The 22-year-old left-hander has posted a 3.18 ERA, 3.02 FIP, 10.16 K/9, and 2.86 BB/9 in 28 1/3 innings this season.
According to Jeff Passan of ESPN, prosecutors have yet to file charges and the Los Angles Police Department has not released an incident report, but MLB’s investigation remains open.
With MLB's attempts to obtain mall-security video unsuccessful, Dodgers pitcher Julio Urías will return from seven-day administrative leave following his arrest in an alleged domestic incident, sources tell ESPN. MLB's investigation remains open. News: https://t.co/sYa5GHs9iC
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) May 21, 2019
MLB and the MLB Players’ Association originally agreed to place Urías on paid administrative leave, pending review of the video but MLB was unable to get the video from mall security, according to Passan.
Mall officials in possession of the video declined to give it to MLB, and while the league could have pursued a seven-day extension of administrative leave, the union and Urías would not have consented and could have filed a grievance, per the jointly negotiated domestic-violence policy.
The Dodgers have no choice but to add Urías to the roster and they can’t option him to the minor leagues, as Passan points out.
The Dodgers, who declined comment through a spokesman, are required to abide by the jointly negotiated rules and cannot levy discipline on Urías or keep him from returning to their roster.
It puts the Dodgers in a tough spot and makes for an awkward situation as they have had a consistent zero tolerance policy on domestic violence since the Guggenheim Partners took over in 2012.
As always, Dodgers Nation will keep you updated with the latest on the situation.